Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 3 & 4

Day 3 & 4
The past two days have been my first two days of teaching. I have up until this point never understood why anyone would want to be a teacher. I now realize the how the one tiny glimpse of promise can outshine all of the naughty chairs, no-no-nos and what the heck are you doings?! This morning was difficult. The physical activity I had planned for the children was an obstacle course which included a balancing section, throwing section, a jumping section and ending with a grand finale of sliding down the elephants trunk, the slide on the play ground. I excitedly anticipated watching this relay race because this obstacle course included everything I loved as a child. I could be entertained for hours seeing how many jumps I could get in a row or showing my dad how I could catch a football. My kids were so uninterested they didn’t even participate. This crushed my confidence after losing their attention and the upper hand. Never the less the light at the end of the tunnel came with my one on one time with each kid. It is apparent that the lack of individual time the children have effects their behavior and creates the outrageous acts to grab attention. When I was able to sit down with each of my kids and carefully watch and help them spell and write their names I felt a sense of accomplishment that I have never fully experienced before. Of course I have felt accomplished when I receive and A on a paper or completed a goal I have set for myself. But never have a felt such an emotion of joy brought on by the smallest child by their tiny little half moon smile. I completely get it. The small indication you are connecting with the children is what drives each and every ounce of energy used to put on a happy face when things aren’t going the way you planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment