Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 5

Start of the World Cup

Day 5 June 11th
Vuvuzelas (I think that is how you spell it) are a staple at a soccer match in South Africa and all I have heard for the past few days. Constant blowing of these trumpet looking horns. Pulling up to the orphanage on Friday all I saw were red vuvuzelas parading around the yard. The children had been given vuvuzelas for the celebration of the world cup. Fridays lessons were dedicated to the world cup and getting ready for our parade we had planned for later in the day. For my kids we made hats and painted noodle necklaces with the South African colors. This was quite a process because “threading” skills are not something they have acquired yet. We also made a banner to hold up. I decided that the kids could paint their hands and make handprints on the banner. They loved everything about this. Painting their hands, pressing their hands down and licking the paint from their hands. I have yet to find something that the kids wont put in their mouth. Nevertheless, I think my class looked the best for our parade throughout the township. Volunteers are normally never allowed to walk in the township but of course the world cup is a special occasion so we were allowed to for the parade. This was an absolutely breath taking experience for me and the children. The kids are also not allowed to leave the orphanage except for church on some occasions. The kids were wide-eyed and didn’t know what to think. My class who I can never calm down didn’t make a peep and wouldn’t let go of my hand, which is a first. Slowly as the shock wore off the vuvuzelas started to sound. For most of the kids the vuvuzelas, which are about two feet long, are more then have the size of the children. To see them hold/ drag these things along is hilarious. We proceeded to walk around the township and onto the main road and back.

I later came into Cape Town for the opening ceremony and the first game. Pure madness. People everywhere, on top of cars, hanging out of windows and packed into every bar in site. Long street during world cup is apparently equivalent to that famous street in New Orleans during Marti Gra. We ended up in a bar called Mama Africas for the South Africa and Mexico game. Again pure madness. I almost went deaf when SA scored their first goal due to the vuvuzelas blown less then an inch away from my ear. The atmosphere is magical. Capetown has been more then welcoming. I had a man at the bar ask me if I was scared coming to South Africa because of the media hype about safety. I told him I was a bit skeptical but obviously it was not going to stop me from coming. He proceed to tell me that he understands it is a big city and things happen but South Africa wants to share their country and their story with the world. I am about to watch the England US game with some Americans, a girl from England and a couple of Kiwis.

No comments:

Post a Comment