Monday, June 21, 2010

I have too much...


After two weeks of living a simple lifestyle and working everyday in the township I know see the extreme difference between the upper and lower class. Last night I was able to use the internet, take a steaming hot shower and watch tv in a huge hotel. Not only did I have heat in my room but a fluffy down comforter to wrap myself in. I ate at a delicious thai restaurant overlooking the harbor as a pink glow beamed against Table Mountain with the setting sun. I couldn’t help it, all I could think about was the children at the orphanage playing with their handy-down donated toys. Here I was sitting in what could easily have been a picture straight out of a Cape Town calendar, just 45 min from their home and they have experienced nothing of the sort. Witnessing the World Cup in their home country is a once in a lifetime experience yet they will not even get to watch a game on tv. I have the world at my finger tips and they have yet to leave their neighborhood of shacks. I know there is not much I can do about it. I don’t know if I will ever witness a changed world but I do know that the time I have spent with these children will forever be imprinted in my heart and whenever I am feeling greedy I pray that I will be reminded of them and how much more the world has offered me.

No comments:

Post a Comment